why did Ubuntu turn off kernel preemption in Edgy?

Kevin Perros kevin.perros at free.fr
Tue Nov 28 08:34:00 GMT 2006

> First of all, for all the ones experiencing sound hickups under
> I/O-load; you issue most likely have nothing or at least very little
> to do with either preempt or the timer interrupt. Back in 2.4 very
> modest hardware already could perform sound-playback and disk-i/o
> simultaneously without problems. In fact, at the time (99-ish), that
> was one of Linux big strengths compared to both Mac and Windows. If
> you're having problems with I/O-interference your most likely source
> is the driver. For some SATA-controllers I know 2.6.17 had issues, I
> experienced them personally, and 2.6.19 distributed right now with
> Feisty helped, at least myself. Possibly, the io-scheduler can help
> you a little too, with a buggy I/O-driver, it's my experience that the
> noop-scheduler often performs best. (Believe it or not) And remember,
> do some kind of FS-bench, rather than hdparm if you want to bench it,
> and remember to flush you I/O-cache.

Whatever the reason, preempt often solves the problem. So I believe it
should be activated.

Before the use of this patch, sound playing was often glitchy, with
hardware very well documented and largely spread (I remember having this
problem with ens1370 and ens1371). Since the 2.6 kernel series, there
are two kind of distribution : those who glitches and those who do not
with the same hardware.

Whatever the fix, sound must not glitch under normal load (i.e. heavy
cpu and i/o load with normal priority apps). If the fix consists in
patching every driver, it is a good solution. If time lacks to fix every
driver, the preempt patch must be used.

PS: I now understand why the sound glicthes on my Ubunutu