GAIM b5

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 27 17:56:22 GMT 2006

Le samedi 18 novembre 2006 à 20:47 +0000, chantra a écrit :

> Well, it did not on my boxes. Anyway, that's an unofficial repos,
> people should know that
> they won't get the same quality than an official repo.
> But in the end, they might still appreciate to be able to run gaim
> beta5 on edgy

Lot of users had upgrade issues with edgy because they were using
non-official compiz packages, which creates issues for users, extra bug
loads of Ubuntu and bad comments not deserved for the distribution. Your
packages work probably fine on edgy. Do you do any work to make sure
that the upgrade path from your non official to feisty will be fine and
not break anything though? Do you look at upgrade bugs Ubuntu might be
getting because of the packages you are shipping to users like that?

If you want to get gaim beta5 on edgy the best way is probably to work
with the official backport team and get the feisty package backported to
edgy

> I do actually enjoy to find new version of package on unofficial
> repos, so I don't have to
> compile/make or package it myself.

The problem is that bugs created by those packages often go to Ubuntu
then. Don't you think it would be better to work with the Ubuntu team to
get official package then?

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher