build my own kqemu and install it debian way

Juan Jesús Ojeda Croissier juanje at synaptia.net
Mon Nov 27 01:25:59 GMT 2006

Hi,

I'm not sure if here the place for this but anyways I'll try to give
you a blind (because I couldn't check in a real system yet) shoot.

On 11/27/06, Mihamina Rakotomandimby
<mihamina.rakotomandimby at etu.univ-orleans.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
> I run Ubuntu Edgy, and I follow this steps:
> http://wiki.clug.org.za/wiki/QEMU_and_Ubuntu_Breezy
>
> I encounter this error:
>
>         mihamina-mainty>>>>sudo modprobe kqemu
>         Password:
>         FATAL: Module kqemu not found.

I guess the problem could be the kernel don't know there is a new
module out there... I mean, I can see a patch in the tutorial where
you teke out the "depmod -a":
-/sbin/depmod -a
+#/sbin/depmod -a

Which is logical because this patch, I believe, is for the building
step of the package, isn't it?

And it make no sense to doit in the system from where you buld the
package, but the system where you install it.

Well, did you check if is any "depmod -a" (or -ae) in the package's
'postint'? You'll probably don't have it. I think this is the part you
miss, because is teh way you tell to the kernel there is another
module out there.

If now (after you have installed the package) try to run "depmod -a"
and you try to load the kqemu module and so on, you'll see if I'm
right. If so, the solution is to add to the package's postint (if any)
the depmod command.

I hope this help you.

Cheers ;-)

--