Non-opensource drivers

Benj. Mako Hill mako at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 27 01:00:46 GMT 2006

<quote who="Henrik Nilsen Omma" date="Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 07:57:12PM +0100">
> When the user first boots the system we pop up a window with the
> following message:
>
> “Your display driver is not optimally configured to work with your
> display card. Click here for more information. ”
>
> You are then given some options.
> [Ignore – continue with the current setup]
> [Just fix it - Install additional drivers]
> [More information – See what you are missing and why]

I don't see the point of a dialog that says, "your video card doesn't
work as well as it could, press this button to make it better."
*Everybody* will press it.

While I do see the point of a dialog box that explains the issues around
driver freedom and lets users make an informed decision -- or in your
example write a letter to their video driver manufacturer, we need to be
realistic about the fact that the installer is an installer and not a
pulpit for teaching the intricacies of free software philosophy and
issues of hardware support.

As much as I don't like to, I do not think we get to shunt this decision
off to our users.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako at ubuntu.com
http://mako.cc

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS