Invitation to ubuntu developers

Ulrik Mikaelsson ulrik.mikaelsson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 22:32:07 GMT 2006

Probably the argument I've seen during this very long thread.

Support the Open Graphics project if you will. Embrace the Open Source Intel
drivers, and work on the open source radeon-support.

The nvidia and fglrx-drivers, however, does in no way follow the DRI
infrastructure (sure, FGLRX does, but it only it's own patched and very old
version) and should therefore still be considered "aliens" in the system.
They might provide desirable feature for the user (I'm a nvidia-user), but
it's important the user understands at least the general implications. They
pose a small threshold, but if the hardware industry is not kept in check,
these customized hardware-dependent solutions will probably be seen more
frequently, in the long term making Linux a very user-unfriendly
environment.