Non-opensource drivers

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sun Nov 26 14:46:53 GMT 2006

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 10:48:59AM +0100, Jeremy Schoenhaar wrote:

> Maybe it would end the flame war over this if we'd say "don't have the
> checkbox checked by default, but make sure it is clearly visable to the
> installing person" maybe with a messagebox type of thing.

"Do you want to install non-free drivers" is *really* something that
most of our users should never see. It requires them to make a decision
based on issues that we don't expect them to understand. The only
vaguely reasonable thing to do is put it under an "advanced" menu as
Colin suggested, and I'm actually uncomfortable even with that.

As a practical concern, is the Live CD going to use non-free drivers? If
so, how are we going to make it clear to the user that messing with this
checkbox is going to mean that the installed system has a different
degree of functionality when compared to the installer?

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org