Non-opensource drivers

Bjoern Ottervik bjorn.ottervik at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 13:27:36 GMT 2006

A good compromise could be to have a GPL/LGPL-only Ubuntu installer, and for those that need f.ex non-free wifi- and
gfx driver, a second ISO contaning these, that can be inserted at some convenient point during the installation, and
the drivers to be loaded from it.
Those cards with sufficient FLOSS drivers would, of course, get their eye candy/networking even without this extra CD.

This would be easy to figure out even for non computer savvy users, and still keeping the main distribution free, in
all senses of the word. The extra ISO would make sure there is no need for an internet connection during installation.
Figuring out if you need it is also much less hazzle for a regular user, than what architecture your CPU is built upon.

I'd personaly favour this approach to any inclusion of non-free content in the main distro.

/Björn Ottervik