Consistency checks of the package repository

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Sun Nov 19 20:26:25 GMT 2006

On 18/11/06 at 19:00 +0100, Ed Schofield wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering if there's any systematic checking done of the consistency
> of the Ubuntu package repositories -- whether packages' Depends and
> Build-Depends are actually satisfiable. It seems not, since I've
> encountered two instances in Edgy of uninstallable or unbuildable
> packages (#62699 and #72344).
>
> It seems that some automated tools could help with this. Are there some
> from Debian we could use? If nothing suitable exists, I'd be happy to
> volunteer to hack up some scripts. Would this be useful?

Debian uses debcheck[1] for this. Porting this to Ubuntu could be
helpful, but the problem is to ensure that there will be enough people
willing to fix the problems it will find :)

I'm not sure if the debcheck on qa.d.o is the same as the one in the
edos-debcheck package. You could probably ask on the Debian-QA mailing
list.

[1] http://qa.debian.org/debcheck.php
--
| lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |