UDF Filesystem as replacement to FAT*, ISO9660, and other Filesystems.

Joel Bryan Juliano joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 10:33:15 GMT 2006

On 11/12/06, Florian Zeitz <Florian.Zeitz at gmx.de> wrote:

> Joel Bryan Juliano wrote:
> > UDF stands for "Universal Disk Format", An implimentation of ISO/IEC
> > 13346, and also known as ECMA-167 that is originally specified for
> > DVD. UDF provides compatibility across different operating systems,
> > and because of that,  it's quickly becoming the new international
> > standard format for all types of data storage,
> >
> > UDF will be increasingly useful in the upcomming years, notably, the
> > release of Blu-Ray Holographic Disk will use UDF, and it's
> > accessibility is available on Windows Vista for both read+write
> > access, this ensures total compatibility across other operating
> > system, since Linux 2.6 support read+write already.
> >
> > I'm wondering, will UDF be a part of Feisty? I just hope the use of
> > this format will have a +10 high priority points in this release..
> >
> > Regards,
> > Joel
> >

> As you say yourself Linux 2.6 already has read and write support for
> UDF. Ubuntu uses a Linux 2.6 kernel, so it has UDF support, thus UDF is
> "a part of" Ubuntu since the beginning as far as I remember.
> What else would you want?

I'm suggesting the integration of the desktop to easily create and make use
of the filesystem, because it's possible for a floppy disk to be formatted
with UDF, as well as HD and Flash Disks, Currently, udftools must be grabbed
from the repository to be able to create udf filesystems, and mounting a UDF
disk must require root priviledges to gain read+write permissions. The
technology is not yet totally accessible for the users,

Regards,
Joel

--
Don't let your future genes deteriorate..