Avoid locking the screen on public computer

Timo Aaltonen tjaalton at cc.hut.fi
Fri Nov 10 17:57:10 GMT 2006

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, Xavier Claessens wrote:

> hi, I'm managing public computer at university running ubuntu dapper. We
> have a problem: users lock their screen and never come back letting the
> computer unusable for other people. Some users also get confused by the
> "switch user" option which lock the screen and starts a new gdm which
> isn't what want.

there are gconf-settings for that, these are the ones I'm using:

/apps/gnome-screensaver/logout_command  string  gnome-session-save --kill --silent
/apps/gnome-screensaver/logout_delay    int     15
/apps/gnome-screensaver/logout_enabled  bool    true
/apps/gnome-screensaver/user_switch_enabled     bool    false

this means that after 15min minutes a button appears that lets anyone to
kill the session, and user switching is disabled.

you just need to deploy these to the computers somehow