duplicate bug notifications /gnome-bugzilla spam

Kai Schroeder schroeder at stw-bonn.de
Wed Nov 1 15:47:21 GMT 2006

Hi,

recently there has been some discussion about duplicate bug reporting in
launchpad. The decision was to not send mail when another bug is marked
as a dupe of a bug you're subscribed to. What are the experiences so far?
I have recently reported a crash of nautilus using bug buddy. Because
bug reporting using bug buddy in edgy is so easy, this crash is reported
very often. I now get a dozen mails per hour that inform me that another
bug has been marked as a duplicate of mine (well, actually mine was a
dupe of another one already) which is quite annoying. It was no problem
for me to log into bugzilla and remove myself from the CC field - but
the ubuntu target audience doesn't necessarily know how to login and
they probably don't know what CC means and what to look for.
Nobody expects to receive so much spam after entering your email address
in bug buddy. This should probably be discussed on the gnome
mailing-list, but I thought I'd start here.

Cheers,
    Kai Schroeder