Kernel 2.6.16 for Dapper LTS?

David Walker azrail at csh.rit.edu
Fri May 12 14:45:25 BST 2006

Keith Curtis wrote:
> Linus says in this article that lots of people are using 2.6.16, which
> he thinks could be a kernel which people 'hunker down' to really
> stabilize. I wonder whether Ubuntu should move up to that. How many
> patches have been backported from the 2.6.16. tree?
>
> http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/05/08/1439236
>
> Just a thought,
>
> -Keith

I have not been reading all that much on the devel list recently, but I
just thought of something about this now.

Has there been any thought into the usability of dapper 2, 3, or 4 years
from now?  Since it will be a supported system for 5, hardware in the
next few years be incompatible with the current kernel.  Or new hardware
may only have support with some nifty new features in Linux3.0.  So is
the hardware of the future going to be supported, or is the support of
dapper limited to hardware currently available at the release?

--
Dave Walker