Kernel 2.6.16 for Dapper LTS?

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Wed May 24 06:36:06 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 13:09 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> It's impossible for us to provide new kernels for use with the final
> installation CDs, and providing a new kernel in the network repositories
> wouldn't help you to get Ubuntu installed on such a system.
>
> The only way to practically provide newer hardware is with a newer release,
> and newer CD images.

I assume this is meant to imply that 8.04 should be simply be used.
Another option would be to have a policy of rolling an updated 6.06 LTS
install image if new drivers were added to dapper-updates.

It's also possible that someone might desire to add new components to a
machine with an existing installation. For example, a new NIC, where it
might be possible to perform the install and updates using existing
release and an older NIC, but the user might prefer to use the new NIC
for day-to-day operations.

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
suppressingfire.org