Packaging Windows apps for Linux Was: Picasa for Linux

Conrad Knauer atheoi at gmail.com
Tue May 30 11:58:11 BST 2006

On 5/29/06, Dana Olson <dana at ubuntustudio.com> wrote:

> > > - Winamp. None of the native Linux software can acceptably play Nullsoft
> > > NSV files without having the audio severely lagged in comparison to
> > > running Winamp in Wine.
> >
> > We already have better apps to do that. Audacious.
>
> dana at polly:~$ sudo apt-get install audacious
> Password:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> E: Couldn't find package audacious
> dana at polly:~$
>
> Cool. How about you package it and put it into Ubuntu then?

There is actually a DEB package of the experimental version available
if you scroll down on http://audacious-media-player.org/Downloads (you
just have to add the repository :)

> Not that this would even matter, because I checked their site, it didn't
> mention anything about playing NSV files - or wait, did you bother
> reading about that part? The point of needing Winamp isn't to play music
> like XMMS already does, and BMP, and Rhythmbox, and so on. NSV video
> files do not work in those apps at all, and they barely work (not even
> watchably) in Mplayer, Totem, or Xine.

Hmm...  I went to http://www.nullsoft.com/nsv/ and downloaded
witchblade-394kbps.nsv from their samples page
(http://www.nullsoft.com/nsv/samples/) and it played very nicely in
Mplayer, Xine and VLC (though Totem didn't know what to do with it).
Also, I copied the "stream with winamp 2.9+" URL for
witchblade-51kbps.nsv into Mplayer and VLC and it played just fine in
both of them...

Could it just be that you don't have the right codecs on your system?
(maybe try installing w32codecs (available as a DEB :) from the PLF;
see http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/doc/plf)

CK