Customized Ubuntu versions (long vehicle)

Daniel Koć kocio at linuxnews.pl
Mon May 29 22:15:20 BST 2006

Hello,

I'd like to make slightly modified Ubuntu version(s) and so I would like
to know what are the possible guidelines for creating one.

First, I'd like to make "official fully localized" polish version. This
would be straight Ubuntu/Kubuntu/* CD, but with all packages and
modifications needed for given language. That should be the best
solution (IMHO), because I think people speaking a non-english languages
don't like unnecessary choosing and downloading (hey, they can even have
no network connection!). Another, less optimal option, would be creating
few official "language pack" flavours, just like Mandrive One did (there
are 4 flavours: Americas & Western Europe, Central Europe, Eastern
Europe and AfricAsia). You still have to choose your language, but all
the packages are already in place. Each set has only limited amount of
languages included, so they fit on the single CD. I can imagine even
second CD with localizations only: it'd be less convenient for end
users, but more convenient for maintainers.

Now, the question is how much changes can one make to stay official,
tried and true Ubuntu? I don't know what is the Ubuntu policy for
handling localizations, but if there is something like that, I'd like to
get to know it. But if there isn't, I think we should craft one. What
about fully localized Ubuntu on CD with all the artwork and descriptions
in native user language? I like Ubuntu  CD's, but why should the covers
be printed only in english?

That's not the end. I also think about heavy modified version, with
localization plus mc, EasyUbuntu and all the usable stuff which is not
official/supported, but at least legal to distribute. The question I ask
here is quite different: what should I do to not confuse people about
support and to not do any harm to Ubuntu brand and to the firm behind
it? Do I have to change the name? Remove some portions of the CD?
Anything else?

Please, let me know if there are any materials on this subject, which
could be helpful for me and other "customizers" around. More technical
advices (such as on preseeding language in gfxboot, asked lately by
Fabrizio Balliano, or on creating Ubuntu install/live ISO's, reminded by
my language fellow, Krzysztof Lichota) are also very welcome.

I'm aware of two localized Ubuntu distributions on Launchpad: Tilix
Linux (bulgarian) and Baltix GNU/Linux ("Supported languages are
Lithuanian, Latvian, Estionian, Russian, English, Norwegian and other
around Baltic region. Main language is Lithuanian"). I would be happy if
we can share as much as possible and offer ready to use templates for
others to come, to not waste their time and let them reinvent the wheel
all over again. There are many dozens of languages, but the rules and
the infrastructure should be one for all.

--
Nie idź do pracy.
Nie idź do pracy.