why does dialup start on boot

golfer golfbuf at gmail.com
Mon May 29 15:04:46 BST 2006

I'm running dapper updated each night.  After last night's updates,
when I boot my dialup network starts during the usplash screen when it
reaches "configuring network interfaces.  Needless to say, this is not
desireable for a dialup user.

I think I found the culprit in /etc/network/interfaces:

~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface ppp0 inet ppp
provider ppp0

auto ppp0

It's probably the last line "auto ppp0", but I don't know how it got
there.  What creates /etc/network/interfaces, and how could it add
this without my knowledge.

I realize I can comment it to stop the undesired bahavior.  But, if I
were a newbie, I don't think I'd ever identify the problem.

To what package should I file a bug?

regards,