Binary Nvidia driver vs. corrupted usplash (RFC)

Ankur Kotwal ankur.kotwal at gmail.com
Tue May 16 02:14:27 BST 2006

On 5/15/06, Paul Sladen <ubuntu at paul.sladen.org> wrote:
> The easiest one I can see to achieve this (rather than hacking around with
> the grub config) is just to have the Nvidia binary driver---which has to be
> manually installed---Conflict: with 'usplash', which should in turn cause an
> initramfs rebuild.

I for one would be against the idea of making the nvidia binary driver
conflict with usplash. The reason for this is because I like having
usplash at bootup. I would prefer something along the lines of the
following:
Upon installation of the nvidia driver, the user could be asked
whether they would like to disable usplash. This could trigger an edit
of /boot/grub/menu.lst and a subsequent update-grub.

Perhaps we could provide a command line utility that allows the user
to easily turn on and off usplash (i.e.
usplash-enable/usplash-disable)?

Putting a conflict on the package would mean that there is no way
people who want usplash, the nvidia driver and don't care for a TTY
terminal could have all of the above. I propose we just make this
configurable to apease as many people as possible.

Has this issue been raised with nvidia? Does the same issue occur with
other distros such as Suse or Fedora Core?

The current nvidia driver has been great for linux users as we finally
have reliable suspend-to-ram except for this one regression on TTY
terminals.

BTW it's not just TTY terminals that are affected - splashdown results
in a blank screen as well (in my case at least).

--
Kind Regards,
Ankur Kotwal