GNOME Optimization

Simon Law sfllaw at ubuntu.com
Thu May 11 05:59:42 BST 2006

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 11:14:59AM +0800, Trent Lloyd wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> >On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 07:38:23AM +0800, Joel Bryan T. Juliano wrote:
> >>Hi, I made another script that will optimize GNOME's Gconf database to
> >>make GNOME more faster and responsive.
> >>
> >>Significant improvement is visible in the top menu panel. Where menus
> >>appears almost instantaneously, which reminds me of menu_show_delay in
> >>windows :-)
> >
> >That sed expression is a bit difficult to read, but it looks like what it's
> >doing is removing the whitespace.  Is that correct?  Does this really make
> >such a difference?
> >
> I guess that he is trying to avoid reading excessive white space on the
> disk? I suspect that you could remove a fair chunk of read data on the
> disk in doing this, (for example, I have seen this approach with an
> external proxy server to speed web page download times on dial-up) i
> would be curious as to exactly how much and what kind of speed increase
> this gives you, notably on slower devices, e.g. laptops.

GConf could probably be patched such that it writes unformatted XML to
disk.  Yup, it looks like XML_SAVE_FORMAT is something inside libxml.

Joel, you may want to generate a patch and provide comparison numbers
for performance increases.  The decrease in legibility may be worth a
large jump in conffile parsing.  But something small like 10% is
probably not a big deal.

Cheers,
--
Simon Law                                 http://www.law.yi.org/~sfllaw/