GNOME Optimization

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Thu May 11 04:14:59 BST 2006

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Please don't cross-post to so many lists; this belongs on ubuntu-devel.
>
> On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 07:38:23AM +0800, Joel Bryan T. Juliano wrote:
>
>> Hi, I made another script that will optimize GNOME's Gconf database to
>> make GNOME more faster and responsive.
>>
>> Significant improvement is visible in the top menu panel. Where menus
>> appears almost instantaneously, which reminds me of menu_show_delay in
>> windows :-)
>>

> That sed expression is a bit difficult to read, but it looks like what it's
> doing is removing the whitespace.  Is that correct?  Does this really make
> such a difference?

I guess that he is trying to avoid reading excessive white space on the
disk? I suspect that you could remove a fair chunk of read data on the
disk in doing this, (for example, I have seen this approach with an
external proxy server to speed web page download times on dial-up) i
would be curious as to exactly how much and what kind of speed increase
this gives you, notably on slower devices, e.g. laptops.

Trent