GNOME Optimization

Joel Bryan T. Juliano joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com
Thu May 11 05:54:37 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 19:31 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Please don't cross-post to so many lists; this belongs on ubuntu-devel.
>
> On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 07:38:23AM +0800, Joel Bryan T. Juliano wrote:
> > Hi, I made another script that will optimize GNOME's Gconf database to
> > make GNOME more faster and responsive.
> >
> > Significant improvement is visible in the top menu panel. Where menus
> > appears almost instantaneously, which reminds me of menu_show_delay in
> > windows :-)
>
> That sed expression is a bit difficult to read, but it looks like what it's
> doing is removing the whitespace.  Is that correct?  Does this really make
> such a difference?
>
> --
>  - mdz

Yes, it removes the whitespace between the tags, but does not affect the
data inside the tags. The tr command makes everything in a single line.

By doing so, it will compress the file, making the file small. and the
applications who load them, will parse these tags with less effort.

JB
--
Joel Bryan T. Juliano <joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com>