Startup services (Re: ubuntu-laptop useful?)

Thilo Six T.Six at gmx.de
Tue May 9 18:13:00 BST 2006

Matt Zimmerman wrote the following on 08.05.2006 23:42:

<snip>
>> Not sure about all this, but it seems maybe it's just an issue of
>> whether or not it's worth the trouble that it would be to not auto-start
>> CUPS by default.
>
> Exactly.  Not only do we have genuine bugs to fix, but there are easier
> gains to be found which don't require this much work.

ACK.
I totally understand the difference between a developer who has to
decide the default settings for a large scale of environments and
a single user systems where the user is also admin.

So it wasn´t a allegation. ;)

But in my experience the deactivation of these services has a real
effort in boot-speed and also in a runing system (not to speak about
possible security efforts)

That all was meant when i said:
> *But* these are my settings. I understand that it make sence to have
> these services in particular circumstances.

And it is an other experience that Ubuntu-developers make their
decisions based on good arguments. ;)

This is what is called a "strategic arrangement".

The Gentoo way is to disable everything until the user enables it
manually (an other strategic arrangement).

Both ways has their advantages and disadvantages.

The only way to make the decision between those two is to decide to
which user the distri should geared to.

And personally i like the Ubuntu way more.

I get used to say:
In Getoo you *have* to do everything.
In Ubuntu you *might* do everything.

bye Thilo