Usplash design suggestion

James Hall rio at x5g.com
Sun May 7 19:30:36 BST 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-06 at 22:52 +0200, Michiel Sikma wrote:

> http://omega.avalanchestudios.net/personal/dropbox/usplash/_usplash_misc_5.png
> - Hotkeys that could do something while the system is booting up. I'd
> prefer this to start the system in safe mode over the boot menu, personally.

This is what we should go with. It hides scary text for people that
aren't bothered about it and has more options for advanced users. I
think the hot keys should be:

F1 Help F2 Verbose F3 Boot options

Help for a bit about the options, the boot process etc..

Verbose for a terminal with the text that has been removed (other
bootsplashes also use F2 for this purpose)

Boot options would give you the ability to boot into safe mode etc.
Similar to the kind of menu that you get by frantically hitting F8 on
Windows XP ;).

I'm not sure if 'Boot options' is technically easy to do, but it's very
nice to have.