ubuntu setup on software raid

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Wed Mar 29 02:31:47 BST 2006

big multipart wad of post...

------------
Where/what is this patch?  Wwhere is bug #292274?  (it isn't
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/preseed/+bug/292274)

http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/g/grub/grub_0.97-1ubuntu8/changelog

grub (0.95+cvs20040624-14) unstable; urgency=low
   * update-grub: add support for raid1
     (closes: #292274)
  -- Jason Thomas <jason at debian.org>  Fri,  4 Feb 2005 13:28:53 +1100

Peter Jones <pjones at redhat.com> says:
 > I've got patches for GRUB Legacy's grub-install if you're
 > interested in looking at them.  They're in the Fedora grub package, or I
 > can mail them to you if you need.

Is this the same patch?

------------
good news:

If I setup dapper on software a raid-1 using the ubuntu-installer to create this
device:

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=raid1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/hda1 /dev/hdc1

Then use md0 for / (including /boot), I don't get this error:

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/preseed/+bug/31435  (I will review
that mess and see if there is any reason not to close it.)

------
How can I remove grub from a drive so that I can see what the ubuntu installer
is doing?  The reason I ask is because currently I run this after doing a raid-1
install:

# Make hdc bootable:
grub << EOF
root (hd1,0)
setup (hd1)
EOF

But if nothing ever removes that, it is hard to test if that is actually doing
anything, and also if the ubuntu-installer is getting grub setup on hd0.  (for
all I know, the installer is setting up grub on both drives and I don't need to
do anything.)  I really can't tell if things are failing, but a previous setup
is still there, so it boots anyway.

Is there anyway to display how grub is installed on a drive?

# show-grub-install /dev/hda

that would be great.

----

There is still a problem with the ubuntu-installer concerning existing raid
partitions: https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/partman-md/+bug/33117

I am working on scripting the partition setup that causes the installer to have
that problem:

# ZAP the ... boot record? and create a 4gig hda1 and hdc2, both type fd.
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdc bs=512 count=1
echo 0,4000,fd|sfdisk -uM /dev/hda --no-reread
echo 0,4000,fd|sfdisk -uM /dev/hdc --no-reread

here are the log files
before hitting 'manual partition'
http://dev.personnelware.com/carl/temp/Mar28/a/
after hitting 'setup raid' 'yes'.
http://dev.personnelware.com/carl/temp/Mar28/b/

Carl

(now with the rights set so you can read syslog ;)

CarlFK