Dapper on HP nx5000 laptop - ethernet not activate

Burn Alting burn at goldweb.com.au
Wed Mar 29 05:43:58 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 22:32 -0600, Bonilla, Alejandro wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 15:21 +1100, Burn Alting wrote:

> > > What driver does it use?
> >
> > It's b44 (Broadcom BCM4401-B0)
> >
> > > If you set the driver under /etc/modules does this work on boot?
> >
> > Doesn't help. Just rebooted with b44 in /etc/modules and nothing. Had to
> > activate by hand.
> >
> > Is there some configuration file that says, activate eth0 on boot?
>
> Please run the command "activate on boot eth0"!

I can't find the command, activate, anywhere under dapper, so not quite
sure what you mean.

> What do you mean with Activate?

Dapper recognises three network capable devices on my laptop -
a. Wireless Connection which it labels as eth1 and it's not configured
b. Ethernet Connection which it labels as eth0 and it is configured and
is the default gateway - it also gets it's IP address via DHCP.
c. Modem connection which it labels as ppp0 and it is not configured.

If I run the network-admin tool I see all three devices and typically
eth0 is not activated when my laptop boots, I have to start this tool
and press the Activate button - then everything works as expected (until
next I boot).

Burn