post-install media formats wizard

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 21 10:09:44 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 12:59 -0800, Dane Mutters wrote:
> On Monday 20 March 2006 12:00 pm, Santiago Roza wrote:
> > On 3/20/06, Therrol Jezierski <therrol at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > well, I guess at this point we have to decide what is more important.
> > > Trusting out users or stoping illegal activities.
> >
> > now "stopping illegal activities" is one of our obligations?  since
> > when we became "team ubuntu: world patent police"?

> 	I agree wholeheartedly with Santiago.  Our role should not be to determine
> what is legal for each of our users.  That's the users' responsibility.  If
> they choose to violate patent law, that's their problem.

Right, that's a potential view.

However, given that there are lots of laws which impose sanctions for
assisting circumvention of copy protection, and intellectual property
infringement, and given also that I don't see the users lining up to
agree to pay if Ubuntu gets hit with legal costs and damages
liabilities, another potential view is that this problem needs to be
approached with a bit more sophistication than just "let the users do
it".

Getting multimedia right will no doubt be an important part of the next
developer conference: I would suggest that people put their efforts into
preparing specifications and researching all the problems behind this
area, and a productive discussion will follow.

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF