post-install media formats wizard

Duncan Lithgow duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk
Tue Mar 21 11:56:38 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 10:09 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> However, given that there are lots of laws which impose sanctions for
> assisting circumvention of copy protection, and intellectual property
> infringement, and given also that I don't see the users lining up to
> agree to pay if Ubuntu gets hit with legal costs and damages
> liabilities, another potential view is that this problem needs to be
> approached with a bit more sophistication than just "let the users do
> it".
Is there some proprietary-software-industry respected organisation which
keeps track of the legal issues surrounding what we're talking about?

I'm wondering if we can point people towards a third party resource
which _does_ have recognised legal weight.

I've found http://www.bsa.org and http://www.comptia.org so far. Without
specifically recommending them do people think this is a direction worth
following. Surely it is the owner of the patent and the legal system
which has the job of informing users. Have we heard anything about all
this from the legal buffs?

Duncan