Announcement letter of Network Manager 0.6 and KNetworkManager availability

Luka Renko 74.luka at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 18:21:47 GMT 2006

Michael Biebl wrote:
> Some comments from the Debian maintainer of libnl and contributor of the
> Debian-Utopia project:

Thank you for your feedback - I was not even aware that Debian
packages are already being prepared for NM.

> >* libnl, a dependency of n-m 0.6 (by Tom Parker)
*>
> Upstream chose to use a broken versioning scheme:
>
> dpkg --compare-versions "1.0" "<" "1.0-pre5" && echo "Strange"
>
> So I'd suggest to use a version number like 0.99+1.0-pre5 for a smooth
> upgrade path to the final 1.0 release. He also encodes -preX into the
> so-version name and according to his statements also breaks the API
> between different -pre releases. That's why I decided to encode the -pre
> into the binary package name: libnl1-pre5 in your case.

This is really bad and I think your solution about ABI changes also
makes sense.Is your libnl package already in sid?

> At the Debian-Utopia [1] we also decided to use a consistent naming
> scheme for the network-manager related packages. So we called nm-applet
> network-manager-gnome, knetworkmanager has the binary package
> network-manager-kde and the VPN plugins, which we will start packaging
> soon will also follow this scheme: network-manager-(vpnc|pptp|openvpn)
>
> Packages for NM 0.6.1 and knetworkmanager are already available on our
> alioth SVN repository [2] and will be released to unstable as soon as
> wpasupplicant 0.4.8 hits unstable.

I think your naming makes lots of sense - I hated nm-applet and also
NetworkManager and knetworkmanager difference.
Did you also rename NM binaries (NetworkManager,
NetworkManagerDispatcher). We will most probably not have VPN for
Dapper.

> As I'm interested in good collaboration between Debian und Ubuntu it
> would be a good idea imo to use a common naming for the packages in both
> distros to avoid problems and duplication of work in the future.

Agreed - it will ease maintenance of Ubuntu packages in future.
I am not very experienced packager, but I will look into this and try
to get this through for next round of packages (need to talk with the
guys preparing packages),

Regards,
Luka