Changelog bug format

Daniel Silverstone daniel.silverstone at canonical.com
Wed Mar 15 10:05:28 GMT 2006

Hi,

We are trying to define the format for closing bugs in changelogs
uploaded to Soyuz.

We have a small selection of ideas, some of which are simple, some are
more complex. I'm presenting them here in no particular order (in fact,
I randomised the selection in order to not provide any clue as to our
preferences).

Option One: Re-use the malone email command interface to close bugs.
Pros: Information/knowledge share, potential code share
Cons: The malone email interface isn't ideal for changelogs. Could
result in a too specific context in the changelog.
Example:
foo (1.0) dapper; urgency=low

 * Did some stuff
   bug 2001
   affects /distros/ubuntu/dapper status fix-released

 -- A Developer <dev at ubuntu.com> SomeDate
Regexp: N/A (uses malone email parser)

Option Two: Simple modification of the Debian closes syntax
Pros: Less change from an established format for changelogs already
Cons: May be too easy to make a mistake and close a bug in the wrong
tracker
Example:
foo (1.0) dapper; urgency=low

 * Did some stuff
 * closes: lpbug #2001

 -- A Developer <dev at ubuntu.com> SomeDate
Regexp: closes:\s*lpbug\s*#?\d+

Option Three: Instructions for launchpad
Pros: Unlikely to be confused for another format, offers opportunity for
extension later to things like marking specs as implemented.
Cons: Slightly more verbiage than option two, not as neat and tidy.
Introduces yet another language for talking about bugs etc.
Example:
foo (1.0) dapper; urgency=low

 * Did some stuff
 * launchpad: close bug 2001

 -- A Developer <dev at ubuntu.com> SomeDate
Regexp: ^[^A-Za-z0-9]*launchpad:\s*close(\s+bug)?\s+#?\d+

Obviously we're open to other ideas. Please follow up to this mail with
a full option as I have above so that we have everything neatly there to
make a decision.
Also, if you have strong opinions one way or another about any of those
then please do make it known.

Thanks,

Daniel

--