xscreensaver-commmand compatibility

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Tue Mar 14 13:41:04 GMT 2006

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> Am Montag, den 13.03.2006, 12:06 +0000 schrieb Paul Sladen:
> > Oliver, what's your feeling on a simple 'xscreensaver-glue' package that:
> >   Depends: gnome-screensaver | kscreensaver
> >   Provides: xscreensaver
> >   Conflicts: xscreensaver
> a "Conflicts: xscreensaver" will make it impossible to have
> xubuntu-desktop and ubuntu-desktop installed

Ideally you want a-cluster tool that provides all three interfaces and then
*speaks* all three interfaces.  Or for the sake of symplicity, the
common-case is one that provides just the xscreensaver and work with
whatever is active.

As you say, a user on one desktop maybe using Kubuntu with KSS running,
while and other is using GNOME and the admin is using a raw xscreensaver on
her own desktop.  As everyone is logged in using remote X sessions, all
three of these are running at the same time.

'Enhances:' should solve the technical packaging problem AFAIU and I've
popped up a braindump of how each daemon can be detected to be running so
that the correct '{x-,k,gnome-}screensaver-command' can be called:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PaulSladen/ScreenSaverWrapper

	-Paul
--
Britain is just cold, in a pesky way.  Southampton, GB