my experience with testing flight 5, your experiences? and why the delay is essential

Sam Morris sam at robots.org.uk
Mon Mar 13 13:58:00 GMT 2006

Sander van Loon wrote:
> Resolution not detected correctly, screen resolution dialog messed up
>

> I have an Eizo F730 CRT monitor and a GeForce 7800GT. When Dapper
> started up, I noticed it had set my monitor to the highest possible res,
> 1920 x 1440, while the recommended reso for my monitor is 1280 x 1024.
> In the resolution dialog, resolutions are listed double.
> http://www.xs4all.nl/%
> 7Evanlonen/ubuntu_testing/flight5_screenresolution.jpg

I don't see how it is possible for your monitor to convey to the X
server the fact that the recommended resolution is 1280x1024.

> So I manually mounted my Windows partition as described in the Ubuntu
> documentation. I copied over some stuff from my WXP partition to my own
> home dir. Then it turned out that Ubuntu decided to revoke my write
> permission when it copied those files. So I had to change the
> permissions on all those files again. This is especially annoying if you
> copy over a lot of files (say a backup of my photos collection in
> F-Spot, that's 180 MB), because there is no way in Nautilus to give
> write permission to all files in subdirectories as well.

The file permissions are probably copied along with the files
themselves. There were some posts on <http://planet.gnome.org/> recently
about a new file permissions interface for Nautilus; until they are
released in a new version of Nautilus, there is chmod --recursive.

> Bittorrent
>

> The official Bittorrent client provided by the Ubuntu repo is version is
> 3.4.2, that's a very old version. The most recent version is 4.4. My
> guess is that Ubuntu still has 3.4.2 because gnome-btdownload depends on
> that specific version, true?

Debian (and derivatives) can not move to version 4 or higher because of
licensing issues.

> However, there are Bittorrent trackers
> which ban old versions of Bittorrent, if I'm correct. So this can make
> Bittorrent 3.4.2 useless.

Only for warez kiddies.

> gnome-btdownload is dead , didn't have updates
> for months and it's no longer developed. So my suggestion is that Ubuntu
> adopts the latest version of the official Bittorrent client, 4.4. That
> doesn't integrate in GNOME as well as gnome-btdownload though, but it's
> better than this old version. Unfortunate that GNOME doesn't have a
> decent Bittorrent client, like KDE has KTorrrent.

Not possible until the Bittorrent copyright holder(s) fix their license.

> Rendering errors in Epiphany
>

> Epiphany renders slightly different than Firefox on Windows XP.
> Especially with Flash enabled, the fonts are messed up. On my previous
> Ubuntu install, Epiphany used to render these pages identical to Firefox
> on Windows.
> http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Evanlonen/ubuntu_testing/nosnieuws_goed.jpg
> http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Evanlonen/ubuntu_testing/nosnieuws_fout.jpg
> http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Evanlonen/ubuntu_testing/tweakers_goed.jpg
> http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Evanlonen/ubuntu_testing/tweakers_fout.jpg

Maybe this is related to the (not so) recent changes to fontconfig that
made European font rendering look slightly worse in order to make Asian
font rendering actually usable.

--
Sam Morris
http://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078