apt-get

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 03:57:00 GMT 2006

If you really want to speed up installs you'd want to look at how some
packages regenerate indexes of some sort, so if you're installing
several packages that all regenerate the same index you get to wait
for every single one to do it when it could be done once at the end
instead.

This happens with the gstreamer0.8 packages, each one runs
gst-register, which takes a good amount of time, even though it could
run just once at the end of the set of packages.  I think the same
thing might be happening with various gnome components.  They all do
some operation on gconf (to make gconf run faster when you log in).
It takes a long time and I've often wondered how much time could be
saved if the operation was run just once at the end of a set of gnome
apps.

Stuff that needs dbus restarted has the same problem, the dbus restart
is run 4 or 5 times during an install.

Unfortunately dpkg probably isn't implemented in a way that would
allow anything better.