Firefox and the `you have chosen to open ...' dialogue

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 8 14:18:15 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 14:11 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ian Jackson writes ("Re: Firefox and the `you have chosen to open ...' dialogue"):
> > I would really like to have an idea of how many people find the new
> > behaviour better.  This is supposed to be a useability improvement.
> > If in practice it confuses and annoys people then we should revert it;
> > if the benefits are marginal then reverting it because of these
> > security fears seems reasonable.
>
> Thanks to everyone who replied.  No-one has come out strongly or
> clearly in favour of the current behaviour, so I am going to revert
> it.  I'll leave the code in there so that we can change our mind
> easily (and so you can set it yourself in about:config) but I will
> change the default.
>
> I agree that making the dialogue be a gnome program selector would be
> a good idea but I don't plan to try to implement that myself and it's
> rather late in the release cycle anyway.

cc:ing to the desktop list.

Does anyone reading know how to do this? Is it a difficult task to make
the firefox open dialogue use the gnome program selector, if firefox is
running in gnome? If not, does anyone have the time/will to implement it
in time for dapper (i.e. very fast indeed)?

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF