Jabber Server Showstopper

Scott J. Henson scotth at csee.wvu.edu
Tue Jun 27 17:11:25 BST 2006

Joel Bryan Juliano wrote:
> I just installed a local jabber server (1.4.3) through the dapper repos,
> with registration enabled in jabber.xml.
>
> However when I create a new user through telnet, it exits without any
> messages, then when I try to connect
> through it again the jabber server (localhost:5222) becomes unreachable.
> I also try to register through GAIM
> and got a "Read Error" message.
>
> Is this a bug?

I think this is more of a users question.  So try again at
ubuntu-users or file a bug in launchpad.net.  But, can I
recommend that you don't you jabber 1.x.  Try using jabber2
at the least, and I would recommend ejabberd as the jabber
server I use.  Its pretty easy to configure and its very
robust and scales well.  But yeah, jabber1 is pretty old and
jabber2 replaces it.