Why not a livecd-debian-installer

Michiel Sikma michiel at thingmajig.org
Tue Jun 20 09:52:18 BST 2006

Op 20-jun-2006, om 10:46 heeft Ivan Krstic het volgende geschreven:

> I'm not sure I understand. You were talking about installing, not
> reinstalling, in your original message. A reinstallation from
> scratch is
> functionally equivalent to a first installation, so I think what
> you're
> asking is why we don't provide a short-circuit to the "serious,"
> console-based installer for people who already know the ropes. Is that
> correct?

I'm sorry that I wasn't very clear in my original message. My main
point was that people might want to get right to the installation
process rather than booting into the actual system first and then
installing it. Perhaps there should be a possibility of booting into
a stripped down version of the system that doesn't load any window
manager but directly loads the installer on an otherwise empty
screen, simply for speed purposes; it simply seems a little
unnecessary to load the entire system in case the person installing
it doesn't need to evaluate Ubuntu before deciding to do so.

This isn't a console-based expert installation mode in particular.

Michiel