Why not a livecd-debian-installer

Ivan Krstic krstic at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 20 09:46:00 BST 2006

Michiel Sikma wrote:
> That's true, but do people really need to boot into a Live system when
> they want to reinstall on any given computer? It would seem like a
> logical shortcut to be able to skip the Live booting.

I'm not sure I understand. You were talking about installing, not
reinstalling, in your original message. A reinstallation from scratch is
functionally equivalent to a first installation, so I think what you're
asking is why we don't provide a short-circuit to the "serious,"
console-based installer for people who already know the ropes. Is that
correct?

If so, see my point about the impracticality of uniting the live and
install CDs. The curses-based installer doesn't exist on the live CD, so
we can't provide a shortcut to it.

--
Ivan Krstic <krstic at fas.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D