Installing a compiler by default

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 19:50:12 BST 2006

On 6/16/06, Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> This happens all the time :) The package is "build-essential" ( singular),
> of course.
>
> just one of the reasons for renaming this package...

Perhaps it does need to be renamed, perhaps it doesn't.  I have it
installed on all 3 of my Ubuntu systems.  Regardless, the installation
of the compiler is a *documentation* issues, not a *usability issue*.
The compiler does not need to be installed by default.  The target
audience are folks that want a "useful Linux desktop environment that
Just Works(tm)".  This audience is not a developer community and does
not need a compiler.

The target audience of a compiler is the development community.  These
folks should not need hand holding to the same degree as end users.
They should be able to find and read system documentation and that
documentation should include how to easily install the compiler (and
yes, it *is* easy to do).

In my opinion, Stephan Hermann <sh at sourcecode.de> has summed up my
feelings regarding this issue more clearly than I ever could.

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."