Speeding up live cd boot through optimizing file layout

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 16 15:22:19 BST 2006

Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 09:41 +0100, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
>

>> Yes this causes problems for the accessibility tools as well. Some
>> people report that gnopernicus does not speak after boot (with an F5
>> option) while for others it's fine. Logging out and back in fixes it. It
>> seems to me to be a timing issue here as well, and the variability comes
>> from different hardware.
>>

> How does gnopernicus cope when there's no sound card when it starts?
> Does it hang around until one appears, then start its work (how it
> should behave)?
>
> If not, that would explain things -- there's no guarantee that a sound
> card is available when GNOME is logged in; just that if a sound card is
> available, it will be useful at some point after the system as booted.

Right. I expect it doesn't quite do the right thing here. It's probably
festival or gnome-speech that fails rather than gnopernicus, but the
screen reader should perhaps try restarting those.

I'll ask the Orca team how they handle this, since Orca will be our
default screen reader for edgy and most likely the default in Gnome 2.16
anyway. There is already a fair amount of demand for a live CD with
Orca, so it would be good to get this going in edgy soonish so we can
get some testing.

gnome-speech will be replaced by speech-dispatcher soon as well, which
might actually be the right layer in which to apply the needed cleverness.

- Henrik