Installing a compiler by default

Luca Donetti donetti at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 14:16:16 BST 2006

2006/6/8, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com>:

> I'm interested in hearing more opinions one way or the other, especially
> from beyond the developer community.

It seems to me that one of the main reasons for the inclusion is the
relative difficulty to find the proper way to install the compiler for
new ubuntu users.
I don't know if there are technical difficulties (conflicting
packages, upgrades...) but I think that a possible solution could be
to install a "fake" gcc (and possibly other tools as "make" etc) that
only prints a message explaining the proper way (apt-get install
build-essentials) to install a building enviroment.
Is it possible to do this in a clean way? Are there problems with this
approach I am missing?

Luca