Edgy Third Party Package Management

Jerry Haltom wasabi at larvalstage.net
Sat Jun 3 00:41:49 BST 2006

I think one of the biggest things is people's expectations. I do not run
Linux (of course I do), I run Ubuntu. The OS on my computer is Ubuntu.
It happens to be based on Linux. Still, it is Ubuntu.

I don't really even know what's worth it in trying to solve the "package
management problem". I don't even see it as a problem. These perceived
incompatibilities are incompatibilities between different distros, which
have their own goals and motivations for existing. Users don't really
even care! They installed Ubuntu, they want to install software for
Ubuntu.

There is no way all distros will ever be 100% alike in all ways. If they
were, they'd cease to be distros. At that point somebody would fork and
do something different anyways. The OS I am targeting with my proposal
is Ubuntu. Ubuntu uses Apt. Hence, my proposal uses Apt. It is with Luck
that most other distros are also Apt capable, and that provides us with
an opportunity to allow ISVs to do some interesting things... such as a
single Click Here button which installs the appropriate software for
their user's distro.

I suspect though that Ubuntu right now is in a position to make this
work. We could support and push the specification. We could help ISVs
who want to support us. When we succeed other distros will follow.