Edgy Third Party Package Management

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Sat Jun 3 00:35:14 BST 2006

Good Morning,

On Saturday 03 June 2006 00:32, Florian Zeitz wrote:
> Third party apt is still worth implementing. It would even help
> developers/MOTUs who want to provide beta quality packages for
> testing to interested people, but saying it is as difficult to do
> Linux packaging as it is to do Windows packaging is plainly wrong
> IMHO.

Regarding third party packaging, we had some BOFs during UBZ last year.
The problem of the ISV is to provide packages for all different kind of
distros and packaging systems.
The only way, in my POV, is to let package the software of the ISV by
the distributor (in our case Ubuntu or its sponsor Canonical).
But this is something, which can't be decided here and I won't let
package e.g. Larries Oracle by the community.

Why?

First of all, there need to be a institution of trust. I don't trust the
ISV, because he can't provide me with the right trust path. But I trust
the core packager of Ubuntu (speak e.g. Colin, Matt or Scott, there are
others) and I trust the ftpmaster of Ubuntu/Canonical.

Secondly, the ISVs software needs to be tested to run on
Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Ubuntu Server/Xubuntu/Edubutu, and it needs the ISVs OK
that all the flavours are supported and it needs the OK of the core
developers of Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Edubuntu/Xubuntu/Ubuntu Server or Mark or
Jane as representatives of Canonical that it's compatible with the
distro and the flavours.

ISV software is not easy to ship or distribute as it is with (F)OSS
software and it's even more difficult to package these pieces of
software. There are several problems, and these problems can't be
solved just with packages made by the community or the ISV (because the
ISV doesn't have a clue about a distribution).
Why do you think that e.g. many companies who are running oracle in
their datacenter environment are packaging their own package of
oracleclient or oracle server for their choosen distro?

regards,

\sh