Mono required by ubuntu-desktop

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Sun Jul 30 14:05:04 BST 2006

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 04:23:39PM +1000, Adam Conrad wrote:
> No one I know outside of nerd circles even knows what a wiki is, let
> alone a WikiWord, or why they'd want to use such things to tie random
> notes together on their desktop.  Most "normal desktop users" who want
> notes on their desktop would probably be much better served by the GNOME
> Sticky Notes applet, which is far less nerdy and cool in nature, but
> also much simpler to grok (and happens to already be in the default
> install).

Tomboy is more discoverable than Sticky Notes by virtue of being a real
application, rather than a panel applet.  I'm not sure what the issue is in
regard to wiki terminology; the only place I see that is in one of the
Preferences descriptions, and this preference is disabled by default and
also explains what a WikiWord looks like if the user does care.

The extra "nerdy" functionality in Tomboy is linking between notes, which is
entirely optional for the user, so I don't see what harm it causes.

> But, if mono's going to end up in -desktop anyway (and I'm sure,
> eventually something with broader appeal and more general use will end
> up pulling it in), tomboy's not exactly big on its own, so trying to
> argue against bloat in this case is probably pointless.

F-spot is on the way.

--
 - mdz