New ZeroConf Spec

Xavier Claessens xclaesse at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 09:03:24 BST 2006

On jeu, 2006-07-27 at 04:02 +0200, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
> On wo, 2006-07-26 at 20:01 -0500, Travis Watkins wrote:
> > Do we want the features avahi gives? That's really what
> > it comes down to.
>
> I'm inclined to say yes, at work I use it for gobby which works like a
> charm, at home I use it for a few games (manually created avahi config).
> Cups being ported to use avahi for announcing network printers would
> also be a nice thing.

Lennart Poettering said:
« Remember: Zeroconf is about Zero Configuration. Requiring the user to
toggle some obscure configuration option before he can use Zeroconf
would make it a paradox. Zeroconf was designed to make things "just
work". If it isn't enabled by default it is impossible to reach that
goal. »

That's so true !