ZeroConf in Ubuntu Edgy

Patrick McFarland diablod3 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 17:47:59 BST 2006

On Monday 03 July 2006 12:24, Scott Dier wrote:
> Patrick McFarland wrote:
> > Since the majority of LANs /are/ trustworthy, I think mDNS should be
> > enabled, and all apps should "look but not share" by default, and use
> > mDNS functionality as much as possible.
>
> The only trustworthy lan is the one where I control every machine on it.
>     Most people I know in our environment bring their laptops to
> super-untrusted environments most of the time in traveling and using
> their machine at work.  (the 'laptop' wireless and wired lans should be
> treated as untrusted in most environments, as we usually see about a
> worm or two a month on these networks)  So while this holds true for
> home users, I don't see this as true for enterprise and academic users
> with nomadic machines like laptops.

I was actually speaking of work/academic networks as the untrustworthy ones.

But yeah, there are more tiny home LANs then big work/school LANs out there,
the kind that have two or three machines, all owned by the same
person/family. Those are trustworthy enough to enable mDNS on.

--
Patrick McFarland || www.AdTerrasPerAspera.com
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,