Configurable GDM themes for derivated distros

Héctor Rivas Gándara hector at galiciasoftwarelibre.org
Tue Jan 31 10:53:28 GMT 2006

El 31/01/2006, a las 9:29, Jani Monoses escribió:

>> I think that is too much effort building and maintaining such a big
>> package as gdm in a derived distro, and it's difficult to keep all
>> this packages updated, especially with dapper. I wonder if there is
>> another way to change the default theme for GDM.
> This came up with the dapper ubuntu derivatives (edubuntu & xubuntu)
> and the proposed solution so far which is not in the archives yet, is
> to invoke gdm with the --config option and point it to a specific
> gdm.conf.
> This requires a patch to /etc/init.d/gdm
>
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/gdm/+bug/29404

mmm, thank you. We would wait for the patch.

Now, we have a same problem with libgnome2-common and gnome-session. We
need to change some default values in gconf. To do this, we have two
different approachs:
  1. Patching the source package => difficult to maintaing
  2. A new package that calls gconftool-2 command to set the variables,
storing them in the path /var/lib/gconf/debian.defaults (in the
/etc/gconf/2/path says that this is the path for debian branding)

I don't known if there is any proposal about this.

I wonder if there is defined (or is planned) any policy about branding
and derivated distributions.

--
Regards
Héctor Rivas