NexentaOS (elatte) Alpha 2 released
alexross at gnusolaris.org
Mon Jan 30 20:59:15 GMT 2006
NexentaOS (elatte) Alpha 2 is now available for download at:
This is a major release, with 84 bugs fixed and 829 packages added since Alpha 1.
In particular, Alpha 2 provides:
* New Installer.
The new Installer is ncurses/dialog based, user-friendly, and substantially
cleaned-up. The Alpha 2 Installer supports:
a. Auto-partitioning - there's no need anymore to interact with
the low-level fdisk and format utilities.
b. InstallCD upgrade. If you already have NexentaOS installed,
simply boot from the InstallCD and follow the instructions.
c. Network interface configuration (DHCP and static).
* Two new Desktop Managers, in addition to GNOME.
(Yes, KDE is one of the two)
* Wi-Fi drivers, thanks to http://opensolaris.org/os/community/laptop/wireless/
* Full support for Removable Drives.
NexentaOS can now be installed on a removable drive and booted from it -
as long as your BIOS supports the option (to boot from a removable drive).
Tested with 100GB Maxtor drive, 1GB Memorex USB stick,
as well as Seagate portable USB drive.
* Complete Mono platform, along with popular mono applications: f-spot, beagle, etc.
* Java Runtime Environment included with both InstallCD and LiveCD
and available right after the installation.
* More Audio drivers.
AC97 audio controller on VIA chipsets, AC97 audio controller on Intel chipsets,
* OpenSolaris build #30, non-DEBUG kernel.
More information about the ubuntu-devel