Killer feature

Michael Vogt michael.vogt at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 13 11:05:39 GMT 2006

Hi John,

sorry for the late reply.

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 11:43:39AM +0100, John Nilsson wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 10:11 +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> > Speak https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/third-party-packages
> > This is the specification for third party packages. It doesn't matter who or
> > what the "third party" is.
>
> That spec mentions direct install of debs. I'm not entirely sure that's
> a very good idea. Sure the possibility would be nice, but the preferred
> and promoted way should be repository based installs.
[..]

I totally agree with this and I understand your concerns.

The goal is to have everything we can in a real repositoriy. This
makes our life easier and the life of our users.

But this is not possible for all software unfortunately, some vendors
will not want to setup a repository. People do install deb packages
directly and gdebi should provide a way to do it in a bit less
"system-breaking" way. The checks and depedency resolution will
prevent the worst problems.

Cheers,
 Michael