Dropping pre-i686 from the archive

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 11 15:40:01 GMT 2006

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 11.01.2006, 16:26 +0100 schrieb Marco Cabizza:
> I don't think GNOME is the best choice for retrocomputing (I'm a power
> GNOME FANATIC, though), if we want to expand the "ubuntu is for
> everyone" concept. Try running a default desktop setup on a 96 or 97
> machine, is it smooth?
With ltsp you are well able to run your gnome desktop snappy on a
PI/64MB (i bet even a 486 would work great, i just havent one to test),
the desktop ressource requirements (CPU/mem) apply only to the server,
speed and respondability are limited by the network, not by the
ressources of the client who acts only as X terminal.

An essential part of ubuntus ltsp is that it uses default packages like
the default kernel to run the client, with dropping everything before
686 this wouldnt work anymore for many ltsp setups running out there in
schools or libraries.

ciao
	oli