Fwd: what is the reason for not making epiphany the default browser?

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 02:35:44 GMT 2006

On 1/9/06, Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 5. What WOULD be useful (that FF doesn't have) for Epiphany to have is
> > toolbar icons for zoom in/out (text size up/down). This is something
> > simple users could use without getting confused.
>
> Not to imply that the users are "simple", but that their needs are
> "simple" (elementary).

PS I think that Epiphany DOES have potential, and, it has the
potential to replace FF _nearly in its current form_, but, some
thought needs to be put into its settings.

If the goal is simple yet _as useful as possible_, then...

- the menus need to be cleaned up a bit to better reflect the
underlying actions;
- the icons needs to be prettied up;
- text size icons OR zoom icons (though, that may require too much
coding since zoom isn't directly supported by the current interface
whereas text sizing is) added;
- movable tabs need to be locked down as the default (this is a "power
user" feature, inappropriate for beginners or long time users with
simple needs); and,
- add a Google (or other search engine) search bar beside the URL bar.

I'm sure there are a few other interface clean-ups that could happen,
but I would happily endorse Epiphany as the default browser with these
few clean-ups (it's not at all that bad... just still a little rough
around the edges (and, these changes are EASY to make... the Google
bar might take a bit of coding, but, given that FF has it, it can't be
that hard)).

Eric.