Install CD with lzma compression

Christian Leber christian at leber.de
Wed Jan 4 19:30:29 GMT 2006

Hello,
I was wondering how much space could be saved with replacing the .gz
compression with lzma, so i tried it and the result ist:

-rw-r--r--  1 ijuz ijuz 501211136 Jan  4 14:43 ubuntu-breezy-lzma-poc-01.iso
you can download it here:
http://debian.christian-leber.de/ubuntu-breezy-lzma-poc-01.iso
(just a "proof-of-concept") (MD5 73bdf44abc204a4fcfebf902861243c7)

compared to:
-rw-r--r--  1 ijuz ijuz 647129088 2005-10-13 11:14 ubuntu-5.10-install-i386.iso

All data is included, i only recompressed the gzip compressed .deb packages
with lzma, i didn't know that some (the language packs) are compressed
with bzip2. And the udeb's are also not compressed with lzma because for
some reason there was some md5 error that i can't find.
(this measures would save additional 21 MB)

The Installation from CD works, after the reboot for some reason
ubuntu-desktop isn't installed automatically, i think that is because
the gpg signature isn't correct anymore obviously.
But i removed all other sources besides the CD from the sources.list and
was able to apt-get install ubuntu-desktop.

I can upload the patches if somebody is interested.

Cheers,
Christian

--
  "Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
   nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est."       (Aurelius Augustinus)