2c about the development of ubuntu

Ante Karamatic ivoks at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 3 15:26:45 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 13:49 +0100, Udo 'Robos' Puetz wrote:

> Isn't dapper 6.04? That's less than 4 months in my counting.

I wrote that mail in 8AM, 30mins before grabing my snowboard. You
understand that I don't think too good in those moments :)

> - if I have a choice between an older app that does the job and a newer one
> I rather stick with the older one - discarding unused features in the new
> one I don't need and that only become a problem. It's all about what you
> need or not. Debian is progressing too slowly and they recognized that and
> try to act.

The thing with Samba was that something that worked isn't working
anymore. It isn't a bug in Samba or in Debian. It's bug in too long
release cycle.

> But on the other hand, if apple breaks something (that's how I understand
> the above) I don't see why the oss world has to scurry around fixing this.

You have a point. But let's forget about ideology and think about this -
"My clients are hurting. They don't ask who is guilty one, they want it
to work.". If you tell them that's Apple's fault, they'll tell you, then
replace Linux server with Apple's server.

I totally agree with you, but...

> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2005/12/05/strong_growth_for_debian.html
> riiiight...

Oh, then none of my Debians count as Debian, and all my Ubuntus count as
Ubuntu :)

This is growing in flame, so it's better to move it elsewhere. We can
contiune in private, if you want.

--
Ante Karamatic | 0xD3BDA225 | 0x0A4A0161
ivoks at grad.hr | ivoks at ubuntu.com | ivoks.blogspot.com